The Istana grounds is open to the public in celebration of Chinese New Year; Deepavali; Hari Raya Puasa; Labour Day; and National Day. The Istana Open House is scheduled to be held on the following dates in 2014:
Chinese New Year (2nd Day)
- 1 February 2014 (Saturday)
Admission to the Istana grounds is free for Singaporeans and Singapore Permanent Residents. Other visitors are required to pay an entrance fee of $1 per person. Entrance to the grounds is via the main gate at Orchard Road. Opening hours are usually from 8.30am to 6.00pm.
There will be a variety of performances on the grounds during the Open House. For an entrance fee of $2, visitors could tour selected function rooms in the Istana building and view a special display of gifts presented to the President and the Prime Minister. There are also guided tours of the Istana building, conducted by the Preservation of Sites and Monuments (PSM) volunteers.
Istana souvenirs are also sold at the Open House. All proceeds from the sale of the souvenirs and the entrance fees collected are donated to charity.
Notes to Visitors:
1. The following items will not be allowed within the Istana grounds for security reasons:
· Pointed and sharp objects (e.g. knives of any size, forks)
· Flammable items (e.g. lighters)
2. To ensure a safe and enjoyable visit for all visitors, and to prevent damage to the premises, the following activities will not be allowed within the Istana grounds:
· Wheeled sports (e.g. cycling, roller blading)
· Consumption of alcoholic drinks
· Pets (except for guide dogs)
3. No storage facilities will be provided. Security personnel reserve the right to turn away visitors who bring along items that are not allowed.
4. All visitors will need to go through security screening prior to entering the Istana grounds.
5. The sale of tickets to enter the Istana Main Building will close at 5.30pm, subject to crowd conditions.